build the hardware simulator
- define the i/o ports for hdc-dma, dj-dma, and multi-io
- define the trap handler
- build the behavioral state machines for: DJ_DMA, HDC_DMA, map multi-io serial port on to tty.
Update the tools
- Make is very primitive: no variables. make is 12k, so plenty of room for code
- Shell is very primitive: no control structures, environment or variables. this is bigger, 38k, so there is some room to add stuff.
- the whitesmith compiler is busted in that bss symbols don't get allocated, plus the code generated is pretty bad.
Build missing components
- we only have kernel source, so we need source code for pretty much everything else.
- fsck used to be icheck, ncheck, dcheck. but, micronix has a real fsck. where from?
- build ps. we have source, but /dev/mem will need to be simulated.
Hack on the kernel to add things from V7 - memory will be tight, since 56k is used.
- ioctl would be handy
- we could move the entire buffer cache into a separate segment(s). this will both free up memory and speed the system up, since we can cache more.
- disk labels are really a nice idea. having to compile in volume sizes is horrible.